An evocative photo of the Castletownbere Camogie Team in the mid 1930’s. They appear to be wearing black and white although it’s hard to tell from a monochrome photo! The GAA history page tells the story of the areas involvement in Gaelic Sport. Camogie is the women’s version of hurling with slightly different rules but still played with a small hard ball and long sticks similar to hockey sticks.

The Castletownbere GAA Club - Cumann Luthchleas Gael Baile Chaisleáin Bhéarras is one of six GAA Clubs that form the Beara Division of West Cork. Reputedly, there was a soccer team in Castletownbere during the times of British occupation which was called The Magpies and they wore Black and White. The name and Th hese colours were adopted by the GAA club when it affiliated in 1927.  The colours did change to green and subsequently blue but since changed back to the former Black and White strip.
The golf course near the town was part of the Royal Naval base until 1938. On 6 December 1921, the Anglo Irish Treaty was concluded. It provided for the establishment of the Irish Free State which happened on 6 December 1922. The Treaty included provisions by which the British would retain sovereignty over three strategically important ports known as the Treaty ports, oA tennis courts there now is where bulk oil tanks once stood, presumably for navel refuelling. Remains of sentry boxes still exist at the entrance to the golf course and at a jetty near the golf course once known as Furious Pier. The golf course existed for the officers of the English Royal Navy stationed on Bere Island.
On 14 May 1921 two soldiers were wounded and Privates Hunter, McCullen, Edwards and Chalmers - all of the King's Own Scottish Borderers - were shot dead by the IRA.

These pictures are originally from the Beara Historical Society. There are more on the Castletownbere GAA web site. Link below.




http://castletownberegaa.ie/club-history/